Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Roasted Chickpeas


I just came back from the most indulgent weekend I have had in a long time – a weekend complete with Mexican food, gourmet pizzas, champagne and Starbucks cheese plates (all my favorites). I wouldn’t be telling the truth if I said that I didn’t want to come back because of school work or something like that. I actually didn’t want to come back because I didn’t want to recommence that spring break diet. With t minus 6 days to go before the beaches of Punta Cana were supposed to be aghast at my new bikini bod, I decided all carbs, sweets, beer, cheese (the best things) better go. But then I got hungry… and pretty bored.




So I came up with this healthy snack. Protein packed to keep you full, with no bad stuff. Hello sunshine. 

Roasted Chickpeas

1 can chickpeas
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
Seasoning of your choice (I love Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning)

Preheat oven to 400. Drain chickpeas and dry thoroughly between two paper towels. Spread out on a cookie sheet and discard the loose shells. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper - salt them well because they do not come pre seasoned at all. Then roll the beans around with your hand to make sure they are all coated in oil and s&p. Put them in the oven and cook for 30 mins, turning occasionally. They should be crunchy crispy and golden brown on the outside when you take them out. When cooked, put them in a bowl and season with your favorite seasoning (I like Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning). Eat warm.



These are almost like fancy, healthy corn nuts. No 18-wheeler required. 

No comments:

Post a Comment